View Full Version : Bridges event vs. travel in the storms...HELP
01-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Oh, I need help again. I am the Californian that logged on a few weeks ago asking if anyone would fly across the country for one of the Bridges events. I got an onerwhelming "YES" from many of you and made my reservations with a happy heart. My event is scheduled on a very significant date for me.
Now, the weather is not cooperating and there are big storms hitting the east. Our event is scheduled for this weekend and I am fearful that even if our flight gets in, no cab will want to make the 30 mile trip out to Long Island. I also had a close family member suffer a stroke on the 17th and is still hospitalized.
Help, anyone. Any thoughts on what to do? My dear friend that was going with me must fly from Seattle. She is willing to do whatever I want, but now we are both a bit concerned. What should I do? Thank you!
What should I do?
Carol, no one here is qualified to tell you what you should do. We'd all do something very different, and just like you, have to live with the decision. Some of us would go at the drop of a hat, and some of us wouldn't dare leave the house. You'll have to personally weigh the consequences of each option and then decide for yourself.
Sometimes the important thing is not to make the right decision, but to make a decision and then make it the right decision.
01-27-2004, 11:07 AM
What Pam said!!
I said before it cost me an absolute fortune to go the workshop and absolutely nothing could have stopped me! Gail, if you remember you said that it was a long way to row a boat (the airline baggage folk were playing "strikes") and I said to my hubby - then a boat I will row!!
You'll know in your heart whether or not you should be going. If you don't feel right about the trip this time, then you're not meant to go.
Good luck with your decision!
01-27-2004, 11:37 AM
I can only tell you of my experience.....the night I arrived at ISLIP the temperature was 3 degrees with a wind chill factor of -35. Now I'm talking about a wind that could blow you off your feet.
There were lots of cabs waiting to take people to their destination. Now.....about the cabs....you have to walk across the street....go out the door closest to where the car rental places are located look across the street and you will see them lined up.
Silly me I only thought cabs were YELLOW dumbbbbbb.....they are all colors
I think NY cab drivers will drive in almost anything!
Coming back a snow storm had hit...big time....we heard they were canceling flights out of Kennedy and La Guardia....but good ole ISLIP had their flights going out on time. It is a small airport, which makes it nice. You don't feel intimadated by thousands of people.
That's my two cents worth. Was it worth it....For me....YES!!!! Would I do it again under the same circumstances....In a heart beat!
Hope this helps.
01-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Katherine, Pam and Teresa-
We are putting off our travel decision until tomorrow. I so appreciate your insights. I just know that I am suppose to go, the date is not a coincidence, of that I am sure. We are flying into LaGuardia, unfortunately. Our stop over is Dallas, which is another area the storm is suppose to hit. But your "braving the elements", Katherine, gave me strength. I will let everyone know what happens, and certainly report back on readings if we go. Does any other "Friends of JE" have the 30th for their event, I wonder?
Thank you all!
01-27-2004, 12:42 PM
aw what a decision to make--i pray that you will make the one that is right in your heart!
im here in jersey and i heard on the news the main bulk of the snow is supposed to hit tonight into wednesday morning with freezing rain.. so if your seminar you say is at the end of the week, hopefully it wont be too bad--although i heard also that there could be more snow headed this weekend..so who knows with this crazy weather..
but just remember the people that are meant to be there, will be there. my prayers are with you! :cuser:
01-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Carol, one thing to consider is to take the Long Island Rail Road out to Westbury and then take a cab ride from there, which is only 5 min that way you would not have to take a cab from the city??
Hope that helps
01-27-2004, 01:52 PM
There's a cab station straight across from Westbury station called All Seasons - aptly named, eh??
We used them loads of times when we were there in November.
Ask them if they have a pair of purple gloves - left a part of me in New York!
01-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Hi Carol - Yep - I'm flying in for the event on the date you specified (we're not supposed to give out dates ;) ). I'm also flying into Laguardia - if you'll e-mail me we can check to see if our flights are close enough to cab-share :) . My plan is to go if the plane goes!!! I have the double whammy of flying from a Lake-Effect snow zone ... so my problem might not be getting INTO NY, but getting OUTTA Buffalo!
01-27-2004, 04:42 PM
My date is set for the 30th.
It's good to know that some JE friends will be there.:jumper:
Have a safe trip!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.